This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Shift: Rotating days, evenings and weekends
Experience and Education
Both PGY1 and PGY2 and 3 years experience in a progressive clinical practice setting required; PGY1 with 5 years experience; or 8 years progressive clinical practice experience
BS degree or PharmD from an ACPE accredited school of pharmacy
Licensed by the Texas State Board of Pharmacy (TSBP), Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA)
1. Performs job responsibilities in accordance with organizational and departmental policies and procedures, performance improvement objectives and environmental/infection control standards. Develops/implements process to meet/comply with JCAHO and regulatory requirements.
2. Coordinates staff training, competencies, certification and continued education specific to specialty. . Assists clinical staff pharmacists with therapeutic monitoring, patient assessments, interpretation of lab values, TPN assessment and pharmacokinetic calculations. Identify opportunities for process improvements, develops and implements policy and procedures for prompt, safe and efficient patient care.
3. Actively promotes pharmacy. Coordinates and participates in multidisciplinary in-services/meetings, publishes articles (i.e. staff newsletter), individualized drug information, rounds, consults, etc. Maintains high visibility/availability through participation in in-services, meetings and daily activities. Participates in the education/experiential training of pharmacy students and pharmacy residents.
4. Actively manage P&T initiatives through monitoring of documented interventions. Verifies data, develops measures and reports outcomes (Performance Improvement). Supports cost savings initiatives. Has active role in assessment and selection of cost effective pharmaceuticals. Reviews formulary addition request and develops monographs for presentation. Manage the formulary system and procedures for acquisition of NF product.
5. Consistently works and problem solves independently and effectively. Takes charge when necessary and is looked to for direction. Makes the right decisions and uses good judgment. Cross trained and multi-functional maintaining competency in multiple areas.
6. Mentors clinical staff pharmacists and supportive personnel. Delegates appropriate/reasonable tasks and evaluates performance. Represents Pharmacy Department at P&T Committee and Service Line Meetings
7. Performs computer order entry in an accurate, thorough and timely manner. Reviews/updates medication profiles (therapies, allergies, height, weight, etc) and is cognizant of patient charges. Reviews medication orders for therapeutic appropriateness, duplications, interactions, overall effectiveness and safety. Seeks clarification if necessary and documents interventions (i.e. ADRs).
8. Actively enhances personal growth and development by participating in educational programs, literature searches, in-services and meetings. Actively participates in new employee orientation and training and evaluations.
4. Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records. e.) multi-disciplinary rounding in the CVICU **Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.