This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Required three to five (3-5) years acute hospital based coding experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Experience working in a remote environment preferred; required for PRN Coders.nnPreferred Bachelor's Degree or Associate Degree in Health Information Management and/or closely related fieldnnRegistered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Outpatient Coder (COC), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC), Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H), or Certified Interventional Radiology Cardiovascular Coder (CIRCC)nnPreferred knowledge of 3M 360 and Epic
1. Responsible for coding retrospective outpatient accounts using ICD-10 CM and CPT, in compliance with the Official Coding Guidelines and conventions.
2. Accurately identifies most appropriate Reason for Visit, First Listed (Primary) Diagnosis, Procedure(s), Modifiers, and all secondary diagnoses to accurately support medical necessity (LCD/NCD edits) and CCI edits.
3. Accurately abstracts required data elements including, discharge disposition, discharge destination, procedure dates and physician(s), Occurrence Codes, and other designated data.
4. a) Identifies when a physician query is appropriate for further clarification. b) Recognizes when the documentation is missing or incomplete and routes appropriately.c) Validates chargemaster driven CPT code assignment and routes appropriately. d) Completes review and final coding when query and/or documentation is available.
5. Maintain the Quality Standards set by UTSW/HIM Coding.
6. Maintain the Productivity Standards set by UTSW/HIM Coding.
7. Mentor/train on designated coding service lines as requested to ensure quality.
8. Maintains an expert level of knowledge of coding related guidelines and practices.**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.