Assistant Therapy Manager position for the inpatient rehab unit at Zale and the CUH SLP Team.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Graduate of an accredited therapy program. Must be able to read, write and communicate in English. Three years experience as a PT, OT, or SLP. Specialty areas may have increased experience requirements as dictated by unit or standard of care. Current Texas license; BCLS. Specialty areas may have increased certification/license requirements as dictated by unit or standard of care.
1. Adheres and facilitates adherence by other personnel to all policies and procedures, APTA, AOTA , ASHA and ARC Code of Ethics, TJC standards, and nationally recognized standards of therapy practice. Manages staff to meet established productivity targets as appropriate. Reviews staffing assignments and revises as necessary to meet the specific needs of the patients on a shift by shift basis. Coordinates staffing with other areas where therapy is practiced within the UTSW Medical Center. Makes ongoing changes to staffing as determined by fluctuations in census and patient acuity, to assure safe delivery of care.
2. Directly supervises and evaluates the provision of patient care by other personnel assigned to the unit. Makes daily patient rounds. Does random chart audits. Utilizes opportunities to teach and mentor other therapy and ancillary personnel. Assures financial stewardship.
3. Role models pro-active problem solving by collaborating with staff to ensure effective resolution of identified issues. Utilizes chain of command for unresolved or escalating issues as needed. Advocates for patients and staff to provide for safe delivery of care and/or a safe environment of care.
4. Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to provide coverage during shifts when staffing crisis/shortage occurs. Maintains direct care clinical competency appropriate for patient population served.
5. Provides timely, confidential coaching and/or counseling of therapy personnel and communicates with Department Manager and other Assistant Managers as appropriate. Promotes and enthusiastically supports professional growth of staff by providing equal opportunities for participation in unit based activities, patient care/unit decisions, hospital committees, and/or continuing education. Responsible for maintaining / improving / implementing plans for employee engagement scores.
6. Assures first person reporting of events through the event reporting system. Ensures all staff are competent in entering event reports and serves as a resource when necessary. Investigates facts of event reports. Facilitates timely receipt of these reports for follow-up by the Department Manager. Notifies Therapy Manager & Department Manger of Clinical Safety immediately of high risk situations.
7. Actively participates in routine and special patient care conferences, staff meetings, special projects and the development, implementation and evaluation of performance improvement activities. Communicates data and solicits input from staff regarding performance and quality improvement i.e.. patient safety, infection control. Actively participates on hospital work groups.
8. Collects information and maintains records regarding performance and contributions on an on-going basis throughout the fiscal year. Provides input and/or conducts annual performance reviews and orientation evaluation of personnel assigned to the unit.
9. Coordinates self scheduling to maintain appropriate coverage for unit needs. Maintains Kronos records on a daily basis, monitoring for trends that require intervention e.g. late clock-ins, incremental overtime, missed punches.
10. Assumes delegated responsibility for inventory control of equipment and supplies to ensure safe and effective patient care. Facilitates timely return of rented or borrowed specialty equipment. Solicits staff input regarding equipment and supply needs for the unit.
11. Assists and supports therapy personnel in identification and participation in evidenced based practice and clinical research.**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.